"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life" Proverbs 13:12

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Injecting in an empty airport terminal and other things that I never thought I'd do before IVF...

One thing that I am very thankful for is laughter.  I always used to think that when people on television shows said they wanted a man "with a sense of humor" that they were just being too picky.  I mean, did a sense of humour really matter.  Don't you want someone who is deep, more than funny?

God definitely does have that said sense of humour though, because after I got over the initial "I don't want to marry a funny guy" thing- I did just that.  And Earl's sense of humour has been such a blessing to me, particularly going through IVF.  Sometimes, you just need to break the tension with a laugh, and he does that so well.

But I think it's rubbing off on me.  Because when I think about today, and all the medicine related dramas, all I can do is laugh at my crazy life.

So, as I think I said in my last post, trigger was today.  I've just had 2 lovely days in Sydney for a conference that Earl and I attended together.  And as I went I had to decide- will I take my trigger?  Earl (who organised the flights) told me that we were leaving at 3:45, and my trigger was to be at 8pm.  If the flight got in at 5:15, that left nearly 2 hours to get home still (it should take just 1).  Was I being paranoid if I took it with me?  But given I had to take my general stimulation drugs anyway- I thought, better safe than sorry.

Boy am I glad now!!!!

So, yesterday I was looking at the conference schedule and I realised the conference finished at 3:30.  I asked Earl 'Why are we flying out at 3:45? We will miss some of the conference".  Earl looked concerned, got his phone out, and then smiled and said, don't worry, the flight is at 6:30pm.

Now, Sydney to Melbourne usually takes about 1.5 hours on a good day.

I checked with nurse, and she said I could trigger between 8 and 9, so I felt pretty safe that I would be off the plane in time to do it. 

Which means...trigger at the airport.

Now- I don't know how other's meds work, but my trigger works like this.  Take awkward little glass vile.  Make sure liquid sits at the bottom (this takes about 2 minutes of careful tapping to get it to settle).  Break open vile, managing not to smash it so that you cut your hand (the one time I wasn't paranoid was the one time it happened).  Then, place it down, and do the same with the powder vile- without accidentally knocking over the first vile.  Then, get out a drawing up needle and attach it to a syringe: tight enough so it doesn't fall off, but not so tight that it takes ages to get it off (again- been there, done that). Draw up the liquid (again making sure you don't knock anything over).  Squirt it into the powder until it dissolves.  Draw it back up.  Unscrew first needle.  Screw on the second needle.  Remove air bubbles- managing to get all the air out without loosing a single drop of liquid!  Then inject.

Now.  This process is hard enough on our dining room table at home, after an entire evening of stressing about "What if I smash the vile again!".  Imagine doing it in a "mostly" empty departure lounge. We found a table, Earl stood so that people couldn't see what we were doing, and we broke and screwed and mixed away.  And I did it.  I shot up in an airport.  It was complicated and stressful.  But also really funny.

Just another new adventure in the roller coaster of IVF!


  1. I love this post. I once "shot up" my meds in the gas station restroom. I had all my supplies and meds lined up on the handicap railing. I felt a bit like a drug adict at that moment, but everytime I think about it I laugh!

  2. Hee hee, love it - and love you, LG!!!!!