"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life" Proverbs 13:12




Monday, October 22, 2012

Heart Beat

We have a heart-beat.

It was one of the most stressful mornings I've ever had.  Even though I'd been relatively positive up to that point, I woke in the middle of the night and I was completely convinced that we would have bad news.  I slept fitfully, with lots of dreams about the scan.  Strangely, every dream ended in a heart beat, but then I also had scenarios of people force feeding me soft cheese or friends (who came to the scan for some unknown reason) telling everyone we were pregnant before we were ready.

The moment we walked into the room the doctor took a look at our faces and said "You aren't getting your hopes up, are you?  Your been here before".  He sent me straight into the room to get changed.  I looked away from the screen, then peeked.  There was a sack.  There was a shape.  The screen was smaller than the one with Thumper, so I couldn't see the heart beat as clearly but it was there.  And not only that, but the baby was right on schedual in terms of size, which Thumper was not.  Earl and I kept waiting for bad news but it didn't come.  We had a living little person!

Then the doctor said "There is something a bit strange".  Earl and I snapped our faces back towards him and he corrected... "Not strange, just, there's another sack".

I don't know why I didn't notice it before, but he was right.  It was a third of the size of the main one.

"But it's empty?" I asked

"No, it's not empty" he replied

It turns out there is a second sack and a second embryo.  The second embryo is quite small, measuring I would guess at five weeks, with no heart beat.  The doctor said that it most likely that this baby stopped growing.  But he also said he had seen this scenario before where the second twin caught up.  So in many ways it feels like it did when they defrosted, like it did when we got our reasonably high number.  We are probably just having one baby, but there is still a small chance of two.  And we are praying that they both make it.  Doc is having us back at 8 weeks to see how twin #2 is progressing.

So, all in all, its hard to imagine things going better today.  I am so grateful.  Again, trying not to get excited, and Earl is still making the call that we keep all quiet until 12 weeks.  And I'm starting to feel better and better about that.

And our picture of Thumper now has a friend!
Thanks so much for all your prayers.  We are not out of the woods yet, and won't feel "safe" until 12 weeks. But today was definitely a day of good news.
Love LG

3 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! So happy for you. I have been praying so hard for good news for you. Such a wonderful blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness,what a shock! I am sure your emotions are all over the board right now. I will be thinking of you and hoping for good results next u/s.

    ReplyDelete